Programs coordinated by Temple Sinai’s Social Action Committee (SAC)
Follow the links to learn more and get contact information.
LOVING KINDNESS – GEMILUT CHASADIM
- Meals for the Homeless – Prepare and deliver meals to temporarily homeless at Ascencia
- Shoe Drive – Donate shoes to Shoes that Fit, a local organization that provides new shoes for children in the Glendale schools.
- Housing the Homeless – Volunteer with this interfaith group to help support a church in Burbank that houses homeless families for a week about four times each year. Family Promise of the Verdugos
- Food Drive – Help fight food insecurity in our community by donating canned and dried food to SOVA Food and Community Resource Program
- Mitzvah Weekend – Engage in multiple opportunities during our service “weekend” in and around Glendale with the many members and youth of our congregation. (on hold)
- Tzedakah Fair – Volunteers staff tables to explain various charities and each religious school class selects one or more to be the recipient of their tzedakah. (on hold)
REPAIRING THE WORLD – TIKKUN OLAM
- Racial Justice – Working with the religious school and the Glendale Community on Racial Justice issues
- Advocacy on Immigration – Temple Sinai is a member of the HIAS Welcome Campaign and has raised funds for this important organization.
- Jewish World Watch: Combating Antisemitism – Participate in the yearly Jewish World Watch walk
GUARDING THE EARTH – SHOMREI ADAMAH
- Union for Reform Judaism’s Brit Olam: Environmental and Climate Justice – Temple Sinai participates in this program, encouraging our members to “go green” and take personal steps to reduce their carbon footprints.
- LA Faith and Ecology Network – TSG is a participant in this program, working with other faith groups to fight climate change.
- Green Power Initiative – Temple Sinai is proud to use solar energy produced from solar panels on our sanctuary building.
INTERFAITH & COMMUNITY EFFORTS TO CHANGE THE WORLD
By collaborating with other faith communities and other community groups more broadly we are able to connect on common ground and achieve important progress toward social change. Currently we do this through Family Promise of the Verdugos, the LA Faith and Ecology Network, and Racial Justice issues.
ALSO, CELEBRATE SOCIAL ACTION AT TEMPLE SINAI’S ANNUAL SHABBAT HAGADOL SERVICE